The Auburn Tigers head to California Golden Bears on September 9th, 2023 playing at California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley,CA. Read our visitors guide for important information on the game, where to stay, how to get there and where to tailgate.
- What: Auburn Tigers at California Golden Bears
- When: September 9th, 2023, Kickoff to be announced
- Where: California Memorial Stadium, 2227 Piedmont Ave, Berkeley, CA 94720
- Tickets: To be announced
- Coverage: To be announced
Travel & Accommodation
We recommend flying in a few days early for a long weekend getaway to San Francisco. Auburn fans should take tome to enjoy the city and see the sights before watching the game.
Airports & Flights
Fans should fly into either Oakland (OAK) or San Francisco (SFO). Typically OAK is a bit easier to get to Berkeley and has fewer delays, but both work!
Here are some great options and articles outlining top hotels in either area:
Berkeley & East Bay
- Westin St. Francis
- Fairmont San Francisco
- San Francisco Marriott Fisherman’s Wharf
- Best Hotels in San Francisco – US News
When it comes to transportation – if you are only staying in San Francisco and going to the game in Berkeley, then use ride-share (Uber/Lyft/Taxi) and the many great public transportation options.
Otherwise we recommend you have a rental car for your visit as it’s nice to have a car if you want to explore different areas within the Bay. It’s much more convenient and allows you to maximize your time.
To be announced and lots more to come, please check back later.
Getting to California Memorial Stadium on Gameday
Taking Bart + Shuttle/Rideshare
If you’re coming in from San Francisco, you can take the Bart in, and then either walk, rideshare, or shuttle to the stadium.
Drive & Park
Most campus parking at UC Berkeley is pre-sold to football season ticket holders. Any remaining are sold on a first-come, first-served, basis to the public. Typical rates are $40 per car and they take credit card only. Also see Cal Football Parking for Public Parking, DA Parking, Shuttles/Golf Cart Service and Football Road Closures.
Campus Parking Lots:
- Genetics Garage (Oxford St/Berkeley Way)
- Lower Hearst Structure Level 2 (Hearst Ave/Scenic Ave)
- Lower Sproul Garage (Bancroft Way/Telegraph Ave)
Non-UC parking lots/garages that offer public parking on game day in downtown Berkeley:
- Berkeley Way near Shattuck Avenue
- Allston Way near Shattuck Avenue
- Durant Avenue near Telegraph Avenue
- Bancroft Way near Bowditch Street
- Nearby campus fraternities and sororities along Warring St or Channing Ave
- Berkeley High School at 2000 Bancroft Way (@ Milvia), with entrances on both Durant Avenue and Bancroft Way
Refer to the UC Berkeley Visitor Parking Map to see all garages and locations.
You can always take rideshare in on gamedays. Drop-off locations vary, but postgame you can pick up an Uber or Lyft at the corner of Dana Street and Bancroft Way.
Here’s more information on Cal Football Shuttle and Golf Cart Services.
And here’s more information on Berkeley Public Parking/Disabled Parking on Football home games.
There are quite a few options when it comes to your pre-game experience when visiting the California Memorial Stadium. From traditional tailgating to joining the Tailgate Town event, to even doing some bar-hopping in downtown San Francisco or Berkeley. There’s an option for all fans. All in all, though, tailgating at Cal is an awesome experience.
Gameday Cooking Permit Maps
If you’re tailgating at Cal, be sure to read this section! This is unique to the Cal bears pre-game experience.
Tailgating/BBQ using an open flame or cooking appliances will be allowed by CFM permit ONLY. Within these areas:
- Maxwell Field
- Goldman Plaza
- Stadium East Rim
- Clark Kerr Parking Lots – Northwest and Southwest Parking lots
See the below maps for more details on this BBQ exclusion zone. This is something you want to keep in mind if you’re tailgating in these areas – you’ll need to rethink your traditional tailgate menu of burgers and dogs, and potentially opt for more pre-made options or sandwich bars. You can find more info on Cal’s Gameday Cooking Permit Policy linked.
Tailgate Town is hosted on the Maxwell Family Field, just Northeast of the California Memorial Stadium. This is the official pregame tailgate location for every Cal home football game.
Tailgate Town opens three hours before kickoff. Admission is free for all fans!
It includes the following:
- Beer Garden & Concessions
- Kids Zone
- Cornhole, Giant Jenga, and other fun games
- Tables and seating for the public
- Sponsor giveaways and activities
- Pregame concerts – to be announced soon for 2021
See the below map for the location.
Restricted items in Tailgate Town: Outside alcohol of any kind, grills or BBQs, glass/metal bottles, umbrellas, animals, cans, handcuffs, banners, balls, cans, sticks/poles, spiked attire/chains, fireworks, artificial noisemakers, weapons, hard Coolers, personal video cameras, hard fruit or vegetables (unless cut into small pieces), Frisbees.
Pregame Rally at Sproul Plaza
A great pregame tradition at Cal is the pregame rally at Sproul Plaza, which is hosted by the Cal band, cheerleaders, and dance team. After you attend the rally, you can join them in the March to Victory. About 2 hours and 20 minutes before kick-off, fans can watch the Bears walk into the California Memorial Stadium and cheer them on.
Bar Hopping in Berkeley
There are TONS of great restaurants and bars throughout Berkeley within walking distance to California Memorial Stadium.
Some favorites include:
- The Tap Haus – 2518 Durant Ave Suite C – German-inspired beer hall and so much fun!
- Jupiter – 2181 Shattuck Ave – Brewhouse, pizzas and walking distance to game. One of our favorites!
- Bear’s Lair Tavern – 2465 Bancroft Way – Good food and over 20 beers on tap.
- Raleigh’s Pub – 2438 Telegraph Ave – Casual, convivial tavern for American eats, wine & beers served in a spacious indoor and outdoor setting.
- Henry’s – 2600 Durant Ave – Great, higher quality drinks and eats located in the Graduate Hotel (also a great place to stay on game days!)
Can’t make it the game? Find a Bay Area Gameday Watch Party
Find a Gameday Watch Party closest to you, cheer on your Auburn Tigers and join in singing a fight song or two!